Born in 1849 into a Protestant family at Herimoncourt, in eastern France, Armand Peugeot was the son of Emile Peugeot and grandson of Jean-Pierre Peugeot. The family had a metalworking business, producing a range of practical goods such as springs, saws, spectacle frames, and coffee grinders.
He was a graduate of the École Centrale Paris, a prestigious engineering school in France. In 1881, Armand traveled to England where he saw the potential of bicycles and their manufacture.
He established a small engineering company, Peugeot Frères Ainés, with his cousin Eugène Peugeot, and in 1882 began making bicycles, introducing the Grand Bi, with one big and one small wheel, similar to the ‘penny farthing’ models being built in England. The company displayed a steam tricycle at the World Fair in Parish in 1889, built a quadricycle with a Daimler engine the following year, and soon produced their first orthodox motor car.
They entered several cars in France’s first motor race, held in 1894, and in 1896 Armand Peugeot established his own company, the Société Anonyme des Automobiles Peugeot, with a factory at Audincourt in the Doubs region of eastern France.
He began production in 1897 with 125 workers who initially completed one car a week, but the following year they made three a week and were making ten a week by 1900. An excess of models led to some financial problems but in 1905 he introduced a lightweight car, the Bébé Peugeot, of which he sold 400 in the first year of production.
The company continued to grow in the inter-war period introducing the first mass-production Peugeot, the 201, in 1929, and, after the various takeovers, the company’s name is still prominent within the European car industry.
Eugène Peugeot had set up a separate company which Armand’s Société Anonyme des Automobiles Peugeot took over in 1910. Armand Peugeot retired in 1913 by which time Peugeot, making 10,000 cars a year, was Europe’s largest motor car manufacturer.
According to en.wikipedia and erih.net