In 1606, Prince-Archbishop Wolf Dietrich commissioned the construction of the Mirabell Palace and gardens as place for his beloved Salome Alt and him to escape to away from the stressful life at court.
Mirabell Palace is a popular place for wedding ceremonies and the gardens a favoured location for photographs. It was interesting to see how the people here all dress up in traditional Austrian clothing for special events, giving a sense of the local culture.
The Marble Hall in Mirabell Palace is considered to be one of the most beautiful wedding halls in the world. The Angel Staircase or the Pegasus Fountain provide excellent photo shooting locations for an unforgettable day. The former ballroom of the prince-archbishop, where Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart played his music, is in use for weddings, conferences and honor ceremonies today.
The palace was purchased by the City of Salzburg in 1866. After World War II it was temporarily used for the mayor's office and housed several departments of the municipal administration.
The romantic Baroque-style gardens as they are known today were later designed by Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach in 1690 with mythology-themed statues sprinkled throughout.
The Mirabell Gardens are a joy to visit. Considered to be one of the most beautiful Baroque gardens in Europe, they are world famous thanks in part to being featured in the classic movie “The Sound of Music.” Maria – played by Julie Andrews – and the seven children danced around the Pegasus Fountain while singing the song “Do Re Mi”. Besides the Mirabell Gardens, the Summer Riding School and Nonnberg Abbey also served as film sets.
The Mirabellgarten was laid out under Prince-Archbishop Johann Ernst von Thun from 1687 according to plans designed by Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach. In its geometrically-arranged gardens are mythology-themed statues dating from 1730 and four groups of sculpture (Aeneas, Hercules, Paris and Pluto), created by Italian sculptor Ottavio Mosto from 1690. It is noted for its boxwood layouts, including a sylvan theater (Heckentheater) designed between 1704 and 1718. An orangery was added in 1725.
According to panoramatours.com, travelyesplease.com and en.wikipedia.org