Cisco specializes in specific tech markets, such as the Internet of Things (IoT), domain security, videoconferencing, and energy management with leading products including Webex, OpenDNS, Jabber, Duo Security, and Jasper. Cisco is one of the largest information technology companies in the world ranking 63 on the Fortune 100 with $49 billion in revenue and nearly 80,000 employees.
The company’s milestones:
-In 1984 - Computer scientists Len Bosack and Sandy Lerner from Stanford University co-found Cisco Systems. Bosack and Lerner work with other developers to enable disparate networks to talk to each other and share information.
- In 1985 - Cisco ships its first product, the MEIS Subsystem. Meanwhile, the first .com and .edu domains are assigned
- In 1986 - The company ships its first routing innovation - the Advanced Gateway Server.
- In 1988 - Cisco releases its Multiport Communication Interface - the highest speed network interface in the industry
- In 1989 - The Designs Border Gateway Protocol arrives. Total number of internet hosts breaks the 100,000 barrier.
- In 1990 - Arpanet is decommissioned leaving behind a vast network of networks which become known as the "internet".
- In 1991 - Cisco opens its first international offices in London and France - its market capitalisation reaches £56m.
- In 1992 - Cisco launched the 3000 and 4000 series routers.
- In 1993 - Mosaic, the first graphics-based web browser appears.
- In 1994 - Cisco's Catalyst switch is launched - the first switch for client/server workgroups.
- In 1996 - More e-mail is sent around the world than regular "snail mail". Cisco ships one million network access products.
- In 1997 - Cisco Networking Academy launched to help teach students how to design, install and maintain networks.
1998 - Market capitalisation is now a hundred times higher at £56bn. First Cisco TV ad appears and Gigabit Ethernet switching is introduced.
-In 1999 - Cisco 12000 Terabit system released. First Cisco IP phone shipped.
- In 2000 - Cisco becomes the most valuable company in the world by market capitalisation - worth £313bn before the internet bubble bursts.
- In 2001 - Cisco develops the iSCSI protocol with IBM and addsIPv6 protocol to its IOS software.
- In 2002 - The company introduces 10Gbyte Ethernet router line card.
- In 2003 - Cisco continues acquisition trail and plans to enter new markets by acquiring home networking and wireless specialist firm Linksys.
- In 2004 - Celebrates 20 years in the business. Launches modular operating system for its switches and routers to make it easier for users to manage their networks.
- In February 2017 - Cisco launched a cloud-based secure internet gateway, called Cisco Umbrella, to provide safe internet access to users who do not use their corporate networks or VPNs to connect to remote data centers.
- As of June 2018 - Cisco Systems ranked 444th on Forbes Global 2000 list, with $221.3 billion market cap.
According to en.wikipedia; computerweekly.com. Source of photo: internet