AT&T Corporation, formerly (1899–1994) American Telephone and Telegraph Company, American corporation that provides long-distance telephone and other telecommunications services. It is a descendant of the American Telephone and Telegraph Company, which built much of the United States’ long-distance and local telephone networks, becoming the world’s largest corporation and a standard for the telecommunications industry.
The company’s milestones:
-In 1876 - The company was founded in 1876 and is headquartered in Dallas, TX.“
- In 1885 - The American Telephone and Telegraph Company (AT&T) is formed, establishing the first national telephone network.
- In 1889 - The first coin-operated pay phone is installed in Hartford, Connecticut.
- In 1899 - AT&T became the parent company after the American Bell Telephone Company sold its assets to its subsidiary.
- In 1922 - AT&T establishes WEAF in New York City, marking its entry in the commercial radio business.
- In 1962 - Telstar, the first AT&T satellite, is launched.
- In 1984 - AT&T is organized into two divisions, AT&T Communications and AT&T Technologies.
- In 1993 - AT&T enters the cellular telephone business with the acquisition of McCaw Cellular Communications.
- In 1994 - The company was rebranded as AT&T Corp. in 1994
- In September 2013 - AT&T announced it would expand into Latin America through a collaboration with Carlos Slim’s America Movil.
- On July 13, 2017 - It was reported that AT&T would introduce a cloud-based DVR streaming service as part of its effort to create a unified platform across DirecTV and its DirecTV Now streaming service, with U-verse to be added soon. The service, named HBO Max, launched in May 2020.
- On September 12, 2017 - It was reported that AT&T planned to launch a new cable TV-like service for delivery over-the-top over its own or a competitor's broadband network sometime the following year.
-As of 2019 - AT&T is the world's largest telecommunications company. AT&T is also the largest provider of mobile telephone services and the largest provider of fixed telephone services in the United States.
- On March 4, 2020 - AT&T announced its intent to perform major cost-cutting moves, including cuts to capital investment, and plans to promote AT&T TV (which officially launched nationally on March 2) as its primary pay television service offering. AT&T stated it would still primarily promote DirecTV "where cable broadband is not prevalent", and as a specialty option.
According to en.wikipedia. Source of photo: internet