it is one of the core companies of the Hankyu Hanshin Toho Group. Outside of Japan, it is best known as the producer and distributor of many kaiju and tokusatsu films, the Chouseishin tokusatsu superhero television franchise, the films of Akira Kurosawa, and the anime films of Studio Ghibli, TMS Entertainment and OLM, Inc.
Toho's most famous creation is Godzilla, who is featured in 32 of the company's films.
Toho is one of the four members of the Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan (MPPAJ), and it is the largest of Japan's Big Four film studios.
The company's milestones:
- In 1932: Toho was created by the founder of the Hankyu Railway, Ichizō Kobayashi as the Tokyo-Takarazuka Theatre Company.
- In 1936:Merger with Nihon Eiga Gekijo Co., LTD. and established Toho Film Distribution Co., LTD.
- In 1937: TEstablishment of Toho Eiga Co., Ltd., then merged the company with Photo Chemical Laboratory Co., Ltd., P.C.L., J. O. Studio, and Toho Pictures Distribution Co., LTD.
- In 1938:Merger with Imperial Theatre Co., LTD.
- In 1943: Merged with Toho Eiga Co., Ltd. to engage in integrated management of film production, distribution, exhibition, and theatrical exhibition, and changed the company name to Toho Co., LTD.
- In 1949: Listed on the Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya Stock Exchanges
- In 1950: Established Imperial Theatre Co., Ltd.
- In 1953: Toho had established Toho International, a Los Angeles-based subsidiary intended to target North American and Latin American markets.
- In 1954: "Godzilla" was released (the first in the "Godzilla" series)
- In 1956: "The President's Boss" was released (the first film of the "President" series).
- In 1957: Opening of Geijutsuza Theater
- In 1958: "Hotelman's Holiday" was released (the first film of the "Ekimae" series).
- In 1961:"Sir Galahad in Campus" was released (the first film of the "Young Guy" series)
- In 1965:TV program "SEISHUNTOWA NANDA" (NTV affiliate) began broadcasting.
- In 1980:"Doraemon: Nobita's Dinosaur" was released (the first in the "Doraemon" series).
- In 1987: "Les Misérables" premiered in Japan.
- In 1993:"Crayon Shin-chan Action Mask vs. Leotard Devil" was released (the first film in the "Crayon Shin-chan" series).
- In 1997: In April "Detective Conan The Time-Bombed Skyscraper" was released (the first film in the "Detective Conan" series). In July, "Princess Mononoke" was released.
- In 1998:"Pokémon: The First Movie" was released (first in the Pokémon series).
- In 2001: "Spirited Away" was released.
- In 2002:"Spirited Away" won the Golden Bear at the Berlin International Film Festival.
- In 2003:"Bayside Shakedown 2" was released (setting a new box-office record for a live-action film [17.3 billion yen]).
- In 2005: Toho Head Office moved to Toho Hibiya Building.
- In 2006:Movie theater chain division was spun off and transferred to Toho Cinemas Co., Ltd.
- In 2008: Toho Cinemas Co., Ltd. merged with 4 box-office companies (Toho Higashinihon Kogyo Co., Ltd., Chubu Toho Co., Ltd., Toho Kansai Kogyo Co., Ltd., and Kyushu Toho Co., Ltd.)
- In 2013:"The Eternal Zero" was released (broke a new box-office record for in-house productions [8.6 billion yen])
- In 2014:"GODZILLA" the U.S. Legendary version, was released in the U.S.
- In 2016:"Your Name." was released (broke a new box-office record for in-house productions [25.09 billion yen])
- In 2018:Nemu no Hiroba renewed as "Hibiya Godzilla Square".
- In 2019:"Godzilla: King of Monsters" was released.
- In 2020:"Demon Slayer : Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie : Mugen Train" was released (new box-office record [40.43 billion yen])
- In 2021:"Godzilla vs. Kong" was released in Japan.
According to en.wikipedia.org, toho.co.jp