Michelin is a French multinational tyre manufacturing company based in Clermont-Ferrand in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes région of France. It is the second largest tyre manufacturer in the world behind Bridgestone and larger than both Goodyear and Continental.
Michelin's numerous inventions include the removable tyre, the pneurail (a tyre for rubber-tyred metros) and the radial tyre.
Michelin manufactures tyres for Space Shuttles, aircraft, automobiles, heavy equipment, motorcycles, and bicycles. In 2012, the group produced 166 million tyres at 69 facilities located in 18 countries.
(WOWTIMES) Michelin’s history and achievements
- 1889: Michelin was incorporated
- 1891: Michelin put forward its first patent for a removable pneumatic tire which was used by Charles Terront to win the world's first long-distance cycle race, the 1891 Paris–Brest–Paris.
- 1898: 1898 they introduced the world to Bibendum, known widely as The Michelin Man.
- 1906: The company established its first foreign plant at Turin, Italy and today operates facilities in a number of countries
- 1948: Michelin was the first to introduce steel-belted radial tires
- 1968: Michelin opened its first North American sales office, and was able to grow that market for its products rapidly
- 1970: Michelin was selling 1 million units annually
- 1983: Michelin invented MICHELIN Bib-Mousse for Rally-Raid, Enduro and Cross bikes. Lighter than a reinforced air chamber
- 1989: Michelin acquired the recently merged tyre and rubber manufacturing divisions of the American firms B.F. Goodrich Company and Uniroyal, Inc
- 2003: Michelin invented the ‘’Antisplash’’ deflector which divided by four the water splashes of heavy trucks thus providing better visibility and greater safety to motorists who are behind or trying to overtake.
- 2008: Michelin is again the world’s largest tyre manufacturer after spending two years as number two behind Bridgestone
- 2018: Michelin acquired Camso, a manufacturer of off-the-road tyres, tracks, and accessories for power sports, agriculture, material handling and construction markets.
- 2019: Michelin had acquired Indonesian manufacturer Multistrada Arah Sarana, which produces Achilles Radial and Corsa tyres in South East Asia
In addition to the Michelin brand, it also owns the Kléber tyres company, Uniroyal-Goodrich Tire Company, SASCAR, Bookatable and Camso brands. Michelin is also notable for its Red and Green travel guides, its roadmaps, the Michelin stars that the Red Guide awards to restaurants for their cooking, and for its company mascot Bibendum, colloquially known as the Michelin Man.
According to Wikipedia