Aji-No-Moto is the trade name for the company's original monosodium glutamate (MSG) product, the first of its kind, since 1909. The corporation's head office is located in Chūō, Tokyo. As of 2020, Ajinomoto operates in 36 countries and employs an estimated 34,504 people. Its yearly revenue in 2020 is around US$9.8 billion.
(WOWTIMES) Ajinomoto’s history
- 1907 - Dr. Kikunae Ikeda, a chemist, started to develop umami taste from Konbu seaweed.
- 1908 - Ajinomoto Co., Inc. was created as a subsidiary of Suzuki Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. Dr. Ikeda acquired patent for manufacturing seasoning (monosodium glutamate).
- 1909 – Ajinomoto Co. is established by launching the world’s first umami seasoning: AJI-NO-MOTO
- 1910 – Ajinomoto dopted sole agent in Taiwan and Korea
- 1912 – Ajinomoto started to sell wheat starch
- 1914 - Ajinomoto built a new factory in Kawasaki to expand its production of flavoring.
- 1917 – Ajinomoto Co Inc. opens New York office
- 1918 -1930 – The company expanded to Shanghai, Singapore, Honkong, Taipei
- 1946 - The company changed to Ajinomoto Co., Inc
- 1949 - Ajinomoto was listed on the Japanese stock exchange.
- 1954 - Ajinomoto opened Sao Paulo, Paris, Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong sales offices.
- 1960 - Ajinomoto established Ajinomoto Co., (Thailand) Ltd and Launched Aji-Shio.
- 1964 - Ajinomoto launched Knorr Soup in alliance with CPC..
- 1968 - Ajinomoto established Ajinomoto del Peru S.A. and launched mayonnaise in alliance with CPC
- 1973 - The company established Ajinomoto (Singapore) Pte. Ltd and launched Knorr Cup Soup
- 1980s – Ajinomoto launched many new product
- 1990 - Ajinomoto Frozen Foods (Thailand) Co., Ltd was established
- 1991 - B&W Vietnam Co., Ltd. (the present Ajinomoto Vietnam Co., Ltd.) was established
- 1996 - Ajinomoto (China) Co., Ltd was established
- 1999 – 2011 Ajinomoto established many companies in China, Bangladesh, Egypt, etc
- 2017 - Ajinomoto introduced a "Global Brand Logo" for use throughout the Ajinomoto group.
- 2018 - Ajinomoto Althea (USA) and OmniChem (Belgium) merged to form Ajinomoto Bio-Pharma Services
By 2021, Ajinomoto was ranked 6th overall and 1st in Asia on FoodTalks' Top 50 Global Sweetener Companies list. Ajinomoto Co., Inc. is the world's largest manufacturer of aspartame. Ajinomoto also sells soup, mayonnaise, porridge, pasta sauce, and instant noodles under the "VONO" brand name. Through Ajinomoto AGF Corporation, Ajinomoto sells instant coffee, regular coffee, bottled coffee, stick coffee, and canned coffee.
According to Wikipedia; ajinomoto