The company sells its products through e-commerce and its beauty store studio franchises, along with operating day spas through its Merle Norman Spa brand. As of 2021, 955 throughout 49 U.S. states and 52 locations throughout 8 Canadian Provinces and 5 countries abroad (United Arab Emirates, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Bahrain, Guatemala) with a total of 1,007 locations.
Merle Norman is a privately held family-owned company by the Nethercutt-Richards family. The corporate headquarters is located in Los Angeles, California. The company is a member of the Personal Care Products Council. The primary manufacturing plant and distribution center is located in Westchester, Los Angeles and is connected to the corporate headquarters.
The company's milestones:
- In 1931: Merle Norman opened her first official cosmetics studio in Santa Monica.
- In 1932: Merle’s nephew J.B. Nethercutt became the first employee..
- In 1934: The company had expanded to 94 independently owned studios across the contiguous United States.
- In 1940s: The company expanded overseas to Asia, marketing in Thailand.
- In 1950s: The brand is established as a household favorite with the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval for 3 Steps to Beauty.
- In 1961: Merle Norman blazes a trail of hygienic practices by launching signature Lip Bubbles for women to sample lip products.
- In 1969: The company changed to be publicly traded on the American Stock Exchange (AMEX).
- In 1971: The company opened a secondary plant in Sylmar, Los Angeles which produces the containers and packaging for its products..
- In 1973: Build a forward distribution center in Memphis, Tennessee for its East Coast studios.
- In 1980s: Merle Norman was named one of the ten largest American cosmetic companies by People magazine.
- In 1999: Launched 3 typical products - Dual Action Eye Makeup Remover, Fine Line Minimizer and Ultra Powder Foundation.
- In 2007: The company was ranked No. 21 in Entrepreneur magazine's Franchise 500.
- In 2012: Company launched Anti-Aging Emulsion and Eye Treatment with Triple Peptide Complex.
- In 2018: The company announced its beginning of day spa services to select studio outlets in the United States and Canada..
- In 2019: Merle Norman's products were available for purchase online through e-commerce..
According to en.wikipedia.org, www.merlenorman.com