This cinema chain currently owns 9,518 screens across 790 sites in 10 countries: Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, the United Kingdom and the United States. he group's primary brands are Cineworld and Picturehouse in the United Kingdom and Ireland, Cinema City in Eastern and Central Europe, Planet in Israel, and Regal Cinemas in the United States.
Cineworld also owns Cineworld Dublin, Ireland's single largest multiplex by screens and customer base, and Cineworld Glasgow Renfrew Street, the tallest cinema in the world and the busiest, by customer base in the UK.
The company's milestones:
- In 1995:Cineworld was founded by Steve Wiener.
- In 1996: The chain's first two cinemas open in Stevenage, Hertfordshire in July and Wakefield, West Yorkshire, in December.
- In 1998: 3rd cinema opens in Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
- In 2004:Cineworld was acquired by Blackstone private equity group for £120m.
- In 2005: Cineworld acquired the UK and Ireland operations of French cinema company UGC.
- In 2007: The Group listed on the London Stock Exchange.
- In 2012: The Group acquired Picturehouse chain of cinemas.
- In 2015:
Completion of combination with Cinema City International N.V.
Picturehouse unveiled their new West End flagship site, ‘Picturehouse Central’, a 1,000-seat seven-screen cinema on Shaftesbury Avenue near Piccadilly Circus in central London.
- In 2016: Cineworld acquired six cinemas from Empire Cinemas, including the Empire Theatre in London's West End, and 4 other locations in Basildon, Poole, Bromley and Hemel Hempstead.
- In 2017: The company has opened nine new movie locations, four of which are in the UK and the other five in Europe.
- In 2018: Completion of acquisition of Regal Entertainment Group.
According to en.wikipedia.org, cineworldplc.com