This Shinjuku-based company got its name from Hoya City (now Nishi City) in Tokyo, where the company was founded.
HOYA focuses its business activities on two main segments: Life Care, responsible for health-related products such as spectacle lenses, contact lenses, as well as medical products such as intraocular lenses (IOLs) used in cataract surgery , and endoscopic imaging systems. The Information Technology division is responsible for electronic products such as masks and photomasks for the production of semiconductors and LCD panels, glass discs for hard disk drives, and photo-related products such as optical lenses, lens elements and microlenses for digital cameras.
- In 1941: Brothers Shoichi Yamanaka and Shigeru Yamanaka from Aichi Prefecture founded Toyo Optical Glass Manufacturing Company at 801 Shimohoya, Hoya-cho, Kitatama-gun, Tokyo, and began manufacturing optical glasses..
- In 1944: Company name changed to Toyo Optical Glass Co., Ltd.
- In 1945: HOYA launched crystal products.
- In 1947: Company name changed to Hoya Crystal Glass Co., Ltd.
- In 1960: Established Showa Factory (Akishima City, Tokyo, present Akishima Factory). Hoya Optical Industry Co., Ltd., Yamanaka Optical Industry Co., Ltd., and Hoya Optical Glass Sales Co., Ltd. was merged and trade name changed to Hoya Glass Co., Ltd.
- In 1962: Began to manufacture eyeglasses.
- In 1963: Established Musashi Factory in Musashi-cho, Iruma-gun, Saitama Prefecture.
- In 1967: The company launched progressive multifocal lenses.
- In 1972: HOYA started sales of soft contact lenses..
- In 1974: The company began production of IC substrates.
- In 1976: Succeeded in mass production of high quality crystal glass for the first time in the world.
- In 1983: Established Hachioji Factory in Hachioji, Tokyo and started manufacturing IC optical veils.
- In 1984: The company was renamed Hoya Corporation, and the new Head Office building is completed.
- In 1986: The company established R&D Center bldg. in the city of Akishima.
- In 1987: HOYA launched intraocular lenses (IOLs) as well as aspherical molded-glass lenses.
- In 1989: HOYA established HOYA Holdings N.V. of the Netherlands and HOYA Corporation USA to reinforce global management.
- In 1991: HOYA launches glass disks for HDDs.
- In 1996: HOYA formed an alliance with IBM to develop a next-generation glass disk for HDDs.
- In 1997: Hoya establishes HOYA Holdings Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, as the third regional area HQ after HOYA Holdings N.V. and HOYA Holdings, Inc., the area HQs for Europe and North America, respectively.
- In 2001: HOYA begins manufacturing soft intraocular lenses.
- In 2004: Acquired HDD glass disk business from Nippon Sheet Glass Co., Ltd.
- In 2008: HOYA và PENTAX sáp nhập.
- In 2012: Eyeglass business expanded its direct presence in Brazil by acquiring 100% shares of OPTOTAL HOYA LIMITADA.
- In 2014: Hoya completed the acquisition of a 50% stake in Seiko Optical Products that became a consolidated subsidiary.
- In 2015: PENTAX Medical launched Splash M-Knife, The New Multi-Functional ESD Device.
- In 2016: HOYA launches Yuniku, a global first in vision-centric,3D tailored eyewear.
- In 2017:
PENTAX Medical and Chinese company Aohua Established Flexible Medical Endoscopy Joint Venture.
HOYA acquired Readspeaker, the leading cloud-base Text to Speech company.
HOYA Surgical Optics opened IOL manufacturing facility in Thailand.
- In 2018: HOYA Surgical Optics Launched global research and development centre in Singapore.
- In 2022: HOYA Vision Care entered into Joint Venture with Jiangsu Sigo Optical, Chinese eyeglass lens manufacturer.
- In 2023: HOYA Certified as an Excellent Enterprise of Health and Productivity Management for the seventh consecutive year.
According to ja.wikipedia.org, hoya.com