The company’s milestones:
1959: David A Jones Sr. and H. Wendell Cherry meet during Jones’ job interview at Wyatt, Grafton & Sloss law firm.
1961: Jones and Cherry build a nursing home called Heritage House.
1968: Heritage House business renamed Extendicare and goes public.
1972: Jones and Cherry sell nursing homes to focus on running hospitals.
1974: The company was renamed Humana.
1978: The company doubled in size through the acquisition of the No. 2 chain, American Medicorp.
1982: Construction begins on 26-story headquarters at 500 W. Main St.
1984: Dr. William C. Devries successfully implants JARVIK-7 artificial heart in William Schroeder at Humana Audubon Hospital. It’s the world’s second permanent artificial-heart implant in a human being.
1993: Humana founded Humana Military Healthcare Services (HMHS) as a wholly owned subsidiary. They were awarded their first TRICARE contract in 1995, and began serving military beneficiaries in 1996.
2005: Humana entered into a business partnership with Virgin Group, offering financial incentives to members for healthy behavior, such as regular exercise.
2006: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Humana Inc. partnered to expand on traditional private-sector approaches to population health management.
2022: The Department of Defense announced the award of the managed care support contract for the TRICARE East Region to Humana Military.
According to en.wikipedia.org; courier-journal.com. Source of photos: internet