The company headquarters are located in Basel. Roche is the fifth largest pharmaceutical company in the world by revenue, and the leading provider of cancer treatments globally.
F. Hoffmann-La Roche is a full member of the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA).
Roche is one of the few companies increasing their dividend every year, for 2020 as the 34th consecutive year.
The company's milestones:
- In 1896: F. Hoffmann-La Roche & Co. was founded by Fritz Hoffmann-La Roche in Basel, Switzerland.
- In 1898: Roche produces a non-prescription cough syrup containing its own active ingredient, Thiocol.
- In 1904: Roche launches the preparation under the trademark Digalen.
- In 1909: Launch of analgesic Pantopon.
- In 1914: Roche has offices in Milan, New York, St Petersburg, and London, among others..
- In 1934: Became the first company to mass-produce synthetic vitamin C, under the brand name Redoxon.
- In 1956: The first antidepressant, iproniazid, was accidentally created during an experiment while synthesizing isoniazid..
- In 1957: It introduced the class of tranquilizers known as benzodiazepines (with Valium and Rohypnol being the best known members)..
- In 1960: Librium was introduced.
- In 1962: First anti-cancer drug Roche introduces its first anti-cancer drug, Fluorouracil.
- In 1963: The company introduces Valium and it exceeds Librium in popularity, acquired Givaudan S.A., a leading manufacturer of fragrances and flavours.
- In 1964: Roche also acquired renowned French fragrance company Roure Bertrand Dupont.
- In 1982: Rocephin, an antibiotic of the cephalosporin class, is launched in 1982 in Switzerland.
- In 1986: Roferon-A, released on the market in June, is marketed as a treatment for rare forms of cancer.
- In 1989: The company transformed its businesses into true divisions, which began to operate like independent companies..
- In 1990: Roche purchased a majority shareholding in California's leading biotech company, Genentech, Inc..
- In 1991: Roche acquired the worldwide marketing rights to the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) from Cetus Corporation
- In 1994: Roche acquired Syntex Corporation, a pharmaceutical group headquartered in Palo Alto, USA..
- In 1995: Syntex becomes Roche Bioscience, one of the Group’s major research and development sites.
- In 1999: Roche launched Tamiflu, which can be used both for prevention and treatment of influenza, launched the first HIV-protease inhibitors, and introduced its oral antiviral treatment, not a vaccine, for influenza..
- In 2000: Launched of Givaudan division (formerly Fragrances and Flavors division).
- In 2001: Forged numerous established partnerships such as with the Mayo Clinic, Combinatrix Corporation, and Millenium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in the United States; deCODE genetics in Iceland; Prionics Inc. in Switzerland; and Innogenetics NV in Belgium.
-In 2002: Nippon Roche and Chugai merge to form Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. - is the 5th largest pharmaceutical company operating in Japan.
- In 2004: Roche is the first global healthcare company to establish a research and development centre at the Zhangjiang Hi-Tech Park in Shanghai, China. Beside, the company also launched Avastin is the first in an innovative class of drugs used to treat metastatic colorectal cancer.
- In 2005: Roche becomes a founding member of the International Committee of the Red Cross, Corporate Support Group.
- In 2009: The cobas 8000 diagnostics system launched.
- In 2010: Roche acquired Medingo Ltd. in April 2010 for $160 million and BioImagene, Inc. in August for $100 million.
- In 2011: Roche launched Zelboraf, the first medicine specifically for skin cancer of the BRAF V600 mutation, marks a breakthrough in the treatment of this serious cancer condition..
- In 2013: Roche Diagnostics acquired blood diagnostics company Constitution Medical Inc. for $220 million.
- In 2015: Acquired companies such as Trophos, CAPP Medical, GeneWEAVE, Inc., Kapa Biosystems and Adheron Therapeutics to expand its influence across multiple businesses.
- In 2017: The company acquired ForSight VISION4, the diabetes management platform, mySugr GmbH and Ignyta Inc..
- In 2019: Acquired gene therapy company, Spark Therapeutics, for $4.3 billion in February. In November, Roche acquired Promedior and its lead treatment - PRM-151 - for the treatment of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, for $390 million upfront and another 2 billion in milestone payments..
- In 2020: The Roche Diagnostics division reached a significant milestone with the FDA-approval of its high-volume Sars-CoV-2 diagnostic test, capable of analyzing 1,400-8,800 samples within 24h on the proprietary cobas 6800/8800 molecular testing system.
- In 2021: Company acquired GenMark Diagnostics for 2.8 billion.
According to en.wikipedia.org, zippia.com