Lactalis is the largest dairy products group in the world, and is the second largest food products group in France. It owns brands such as Parmalat, Président, Siggi's Dairy, Skånemejerier, Rachel's Organic, and Stonyfield Farm.
Lactalis had global revenues of 16.5 billion euros in 2015. Lactalis employs 75,000 people worldwide, at 237 production sites in 43 countries.
(WOWTIMES) Lactalis’s history and achievements
- 1933: André Besnier started a small cheesemaking company
- 1948: the company becomes “SARL Société Laitière de Laval A. Besnier & Cie”, a limited company, and the amount of milk collected pass the 10,000-litre mark.
- 1968: The company launched its Président brand of Camembert
- 1970: The Besnier Company takes its first steps into the United States market, notably with brie, a cheese much favoured by transatlantic customers.
- 1981: The company lands in the US, in Belmont (Wisconsin) through an acquisition, reinforced six years later by the construction of a factory in California.
- 1990: two major companies join the Besnier Group: historical rival Bridel and the Société des Caves de Roquefort.
- 1999: the Besnier Company changes the Group name to Lactalis, meeting the demands of internationalization with a name that can be pronounced easily on all five continents.
- 2011 is the year when the Lavallois Group positions itself as a global leader in dairy products, becoming a majority shareholder in Parmalat, the leading Italian drinking milk company with over 14,000 employees, and achieving a turnover of almost 4 billion dollars.
- 2013: the company increases its foothold in South Eastern Europe as it becomes a majority shareholder in Slovenian company Ljubljanske Mlekarne, the leading local dairy producer.
- 2014: the French company bought Tirumala in India, marking its first major acquisition in Asia Pacific.
Today, Lactalis is a global leader within the dairy industry and is present across all the categories of this market. The Group is the number one cheese manufacturer in the world, and the European leader within the milk consumption, butter and cream markets. It is also a major player in the chilled dairy and dairy ingredients categories, as well as the foodservice industry, and a growing player within clinical and infant nutrition markets.
According to Wikipedia; lactalis