The company offers packaging, filling machines and processing for dairy, beverages, cheese, ice cream and prepared food, including distribution tools like accumulators, cap applicators, conveyors, crate packers, film wrappers, line controllers and straw applicators.
Tetra Pak was founded by Ruben Rausing and built on Erik Wallenberg's innovation, a tetrahedron-shaped plastic-coated paper carton, from which the company name was derived. The company now operates in more than 160 countries and with over 25,000 employees as of 2021.
Tetra Pak uses aseptic packaging technology. In aseptic processing the product and the package are sterilized separately and then combined and sealed in a sterile atmosphere, in contrast to canning, where product and package are first combined and then sterilized. When filled with ultra-heat treated (UHT) foodstuffs (liquids like milk and juice or processed food like vegetables and preserved fruits), the aseptic packages can be preserved without being chilled for up to one year, with the result that distribution and storage costs, as well as environmental impact, is greatly reduced and product shelf life expanded. The aseptic packaging technology has been called the most important food packaging innovation of the 20th century by the Institute of Food Technologists.
(Wowtimes) Tera Pak’s history andachievements
- 1951: AB Tetra Pak was established in Lund Sweden, by Ruben Rausing.
- 1952: In September, the first Tetra Pak machine for tetrahedron-shaped cartons was delivered to the Lund dairy, Lundaortens Mejeriförening. The packing of cream in 100 ml cartons begins in November.
- 1954: The first machines for the packing of milk in 500ml tetrahedron cartons were installed at Mjölkcentralen in Stockholm and Eskilstuna, Sweden. The first Tetra Pak machine to be exported goes to Alster Milchwerk in Hamburg, Germany.
- 1956: Tetra Pak moved into new factory premises in Lund, Sweden, on the site it occupies to this day. Development work begins on the aseptic packaging system.
- 1957: The first machine for milk in one-litre cartons was installed at the Linköping dairy, Sweden.
- 1960: The first production plant for packaging material outside Sweden was started up in Mexico. The production capacity exceeded 1 billion cartons annually.
- 1961: In September, the first machine for aseptically filling bacteria-free milk was presented at a press conference in Thun, Switzerland.
- 1962: An agreement was concluded with the Milliken Corporation for the marketing, in the USA, of the packaging system for tetrahedron-shaped cartons. Milliken Tetra Pak is established and construction of a packaging material factory starts at White Stone, South Carolina, USA.
- 1964: The first Tetra Classic Aseptic machine outside of Europe was installed in Lebanon.
- 1971: The total production of Tetra Pak packages exceeded 10 billion units.
- 1972: For the first time, Tetra Pak exhibited in the People's Republic of China.
- 1978: Introduction of a new system of unmanned trucks for internal transport in the dairy industry. This system is installed at Arla's new dairy in Linköping, Sweden.
- 1987: The inauguration took place in Beijing, People's Republic of China, of a turnkey factory for the production of Tetra Pak packaging material. Production started at a new packaging material plant in Taiwan ROC.
- 1989: Production starts up at a new plant for packaging material in the Republic of Korea.
- 1993: Tetra Laval was created. The new Group of companies consists of four industry groups, Tetra Pak, Tetra Laval Food, Alfa Laval and Alfa Laval Agri.
- 2000: Tetra Pak published first Corporate Environmental Report (CER) for its global operations.
- 2002: First launch of integrated processing and packaging line for soya products. The new line handled all stages in the processing and packaging of products. In September, Tetra Pak celebrated its 50-year anniversary.
- 2004: Tetra Pak has developed a new machine platform for chilled products. The Tetra Pak C3/Flex machine is highly adaptable, with features that make it possible for customers to switch between different package volumes as easily as between different products.
- 2005: Tetra Therm Aseptic Sensa was launched. It is based on a new technology for blending and pasteurisation of fruit-based beverages.
- 2010: Tetra Pak receives the Climate Award from the Swedish Forest Industries Federation.
- 2011: Tetra Evero Aseptic, the world's first carton bottle for ambient milk, was launched.
- 2015: Tetra Pak launches the world's first carton package made entirely from plant-based materials, Tetra Rex® Plant-based, with low-density polyethylene (LDPE) films and high-density polyethylene (HDPF) closures derived from sugar cane.
- 2017: Tetra Pak is awarded the highest possible score by the CDP Forests Programme for its work in tackling deforestation.
According to Wikipedia