WORLDKINGS - Worldkings News - Africa Records Institute (AFRI) – Mutanda Mine: Largest cobalt mine in the world

09-12-2021

(WorldKings.org) Annual production capacity is estimated at 20,000 tonnes of copper metal and 8,000 tonnes of cobalt in cobalt hydroxide.

The Mutanda Mine is an open-pit copper mine in the Katanga Province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The largest cobalt mine in the world, Mutanda has been closed since November 2019. The owner of the mine, Glencore, has announced it plans to resume production in early 2022.

Glencore International operates the mine and has a 40% stake in the mine through a 50% holding in Samref Congo, which in turn holds 80% of Mutanda. Until recently, the state-owned Gécamines held the remaining 20%.

The Mutanda Mine lies about 40 kilometres to the southeast of Kolwezi in the Roan formation. The property is close to the national road and railway line between Kolwezi and Zambia. The Kando River runs about 2.5 kilometres from the southern boundary, providing ample water. There is a good supply of electricity from the grid, with a 13.5MW standby generator. At the end of 2010 the project was employing 930 people.

Annual production capacity is estimated at 20,000 tonnes of copper metal and 8,000 tonnes of cobalt in cobalt hydroxide, with expansion to 110,000 tonnes of copper metal and 23,000 tonnes of cobalt in cobalt hydroxide by the first quarter of 2012.

In November 2011 Glencore confirmed that it should compete its expansion in December, bring up annual capacity to 110,000 metric tons of copper metal as planned. Glencore made an investment of $650 million to develop this capacity.

According to wikipedia


Brian (Collect & Edit) - WORLDKINGS (Source of photos : internet )

 

towerWorldKings journeys
islandvilalage
WCSA
ASEAN BOOK OF RECORDSASIA BOOK OF RECORDS
CAMBODIA BOOK OF RECORDSWorld Records University
worldmark